Featured post

Hello and Welcome to my Blog!

A-k-a, my public learning diary for my 3D animation degree and since graduating, my free-time independent 3D studies and personal projects

Friday 6 August 2021

Tunnels Art Direction and Stylisation

The aim of this post is to figure out the art direction I'm going to go with and here's the final result (for now) that I plan to use for the main texture, the white represents emissive which will be used as a mask for the VFX I completed in unreal engine.

I started initially with a couple basic rock sculpts and layered them to see what that might look like. I also tried out some brushes I found online and accidentally made cookies:





I then started looking into making lava rock material and just my luck - there were a bunch of tutorials on how to do this in blender - small problem, I don't think you can export material maps you've made in blender. Also when I clumped the rocks together and put this material on... Looked like very unhealthy poop haha!



So I started looking away from this more realistic style towards something more stylised. My research led me to an amazing tutorial by Luc Chamerlat: https://www.artstation.com/chamerlat/blog/daPE/how-to-create-a-simple-stylised-lava-using-substance-designer

Stylised Lava by Luc Chamerlat


This served as a great base to start experimenting with what I want my rock textures to look like! Taking into account how lava tunnels form, I want it to look like there's layers of solidified lava with remnants of ebbing flow patterning the walls.


Modular Rock Pieces:


My scene will be constructed by placing modular rock pieces I've made like lego bricks as demonstrated in the example below from: https://80.lv/articles/clinton-crumpler-closed-quaters-environmen-design/



The sculpts will be a canvas for my textures. The workflow for my sculpts started with the clay build up brush to find the main shapes, I then used the trim dynamic brush to flatten it which created some cracks and then I used the trim smooth border brush, (found in the lightbox tab > trim folder) to create better edges and some more cracks. I also occasionally used the clip curve tool to create clean slices and cut into the edge of the stone wall. 



In blender, I then used a lattice to create some curve variations.



Ready to decimate, UV map, bake and bring into unreal engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment