Featured post

Hello and Welcome to my Blog!

A-k-a, my public learning diary for my 3D animation degree and since graduating, my free-time independent 3D studies and personal projects

Saturday 31 October 2020

Art Heroes Monster Challenge 2020

Happy Halloween!



From the 19th - 25th, Art Heroes hosted a Halloween themed Zbrush character challenge where entrants created their own original monster characters. I decided to join in the challenge and push my Zbrush skills to create my first character solely with Zbrush for the modelling - no Maya. I used substance painter for texturing.

For the first 5 days of the challenge, they hosted a nightly livestream lesson in Zbrush. 

I am shocked by what I created because it's very unlike me to create something so repulsive... I loved it! Meet Benjamin the Zombie Knight, adapted from my uni character design project "The Nervous Knight".

Sculpted in Zbrush.     Textured with Substance Painter.      Rendered with IRAY.

Idea:

The story I created for The Nervous Knight was that he was anti-heroic - scrawny and clumsy who survived only on dumb luck. (You can view the production bible HERE). In this adaptation his dumb luck ran out and he died. Many eras passed and a new one was sparked by a pandemic - the zombie virus. Overnight, the dead crawled out of their graves and began to walk the Earth, feasting on the living. Zombie Knight is how I imagine Benjamin looking once he crawled out of his grave - and after he had his first meal. I also imagine the virus would have regenerated him enough (wearing what he wore when he died) to be substantial enough on the surface.


Work in Progess Images Below:

Days 1-3: Head and Body Sketching




Day 4&5: Adding Details and Imperfections




Days 6&7: Texturing, Ground Creation, Rendering and Compositing




No comments:

Post a Comment